5.06.2015

Free Comic Book Day & Hooley's Hope


It was an excessively busy weekend this past few days.  Besides going to Free Comic Book Day, I spent all weekend prepping for the Bake Sale fundraiser for Kevin's young cousin.  Hooley's Hope is the benefit campaign the family is running to help with medical expenses and transportation to facilities in Indianapolis.

Free Comic Books Day

We went to Amazing Fantasy Comics in Crown Point, IN to check out Free Comic Book day.  I had one specific comic I wanted, Doctor Who!  Of course.  I got that and a few more.  We could get 8 each, but I chose 5 and 5 for Chase.  The pickings had gotten slim by the time we got there, it was the afternoon.  Their Facebook page posted the morning rush.  I'm glad we didn't come when it is too busy, not particularly fond of crowds.

We browsed around a bit and Chase found a few more books he wanted, Sonic, Skylanders, and a Peanuts collection.  He loves those.  We didn't have much for spending money.  I want to get him some poster sized sleeves for his Heroclix maps.  And I keep ogling the art section and supplies.  They also carry some art collection books.  Makes me wish I had a coffee table.



Chase spent his allowance on some great books!
Chase did some reading on the ride home.  Peanuts are one of his favorites since he had won some collections in the Halloween Comicfest Costume Contest.  He's read them many times and happily spent half of his allowance money on this one book.  The collection is more expensive, but it's something he'll enjoy for many years.  He loves to read.  I'm glad he's really into comics, I loved them growing up and so did Kevin.  Awesome to have something to share with him like that.

I'm looking forward to a few new releases this year.  Invader Zim!!!!!  And a Tank Girl revisitation with Jamie Hewlett & Alan Martin!!!!  (you can tell my excitement by the qty of exclamations)  I had Tank Girl collections when I was in high school, I tried to pick up the new (2000's) comic later on, but it was garbage.  Jamie Hewlett is one of the greatest artistic influences on me and I love Tank Girl so hard.

I just returned Scott's Squee book after 10 years of extended borrowing.  Which I wrote a post about how I apologized for that, An Apology For Scott.  I love The Zim TV show and recently introduced it to my son.  So he's excited, too.  Doing a happy dance.  Now sing me the doom song!

Buckaroo Banzai

This was a freebie given to my comic store from Moonstone, not actually a FCBD issue.  I was disappointed by this title.
I was pretty excited when I found Buckaroo Bonzai.  But it really wasn't what I'd hoped for.  The writing and art are both shoddy.  The story is complete nonsense.  I loved the movie so much, really a favorite.  Granted, I didn't read issue #1, but this was a glimpse into how awful it was.  I know I shouldn't count on things I love to be done well when reimagined into a different medium.  However, I had once read a book (don't think it was an adaptation) of the movie and it was a pretty decent book.  True to the movie.  The characters and zany spontaneity were the charm of the cult classic and both were lacking in this comic by Moonstone.  It wasn't part of the Free Comic Book Day annual event, instead, it was from the publisher.  I guess they just had to give it away.

Besides being utter nonsense, Penny was a rapidly aging idiot in love with a rapidly aging Buckaroo clone that had the vocabulary of a goldfish.  They fucked and made a baby while playing tag.  She gives birth right before dying and real Buckaroo looks on upon their tombstones.  In the beginning, Buckaroo's crew are using their bus as bait for the Lectroids, and covering grenades in chocolate syrup and ice cream.  They abandon ship with a decapitated talking head bearing an impressive mustache.  The Lectroids go to eat the grenades, of course.  Reno takes a poison stinger in the butt.  I'm here guessing that Penny is a clone because Buckaroo tells her that Penny was afraid of the dark too.  So, I am guessing it is real Penny who shoots the disembodied head in the head.

What I know of Moonstone seems to be their series are like B movies.  I enjoyed the Halloween free comics we got from them, but they were definitely B comics.  

Secret Wars #0 & Free Preview

These were a bunch of mini-stories set in a period I am unfamiliar with.  So I have no bearings.  But the art and story arc were interesting.  #0 was set in an alternate universe on the brink of its end.  All of the universes were ending and a group of kids, descendants of the original Fantastic Four are about to board a life pod when alternate universes have come together to battle for the limited space.  The previews book was  more confusing, since I haven't really read any Marvel comics since the early 90's maybe....  Of course, I've watched the movies and I already knew the characters and some of their backstories, etc.  But I haven't been following along.  I was never able to really afford a comic collection and have just come across some intermittently.  I prefer to start a story from the beginning, so as to not miss what on Earth is going on.  And this case, Earths.

There's Titans from Attack on Titan manga.  Everyone is fighting everyone in Battleworld.  Who is friend or foe and what is the difference between a hero and a villain.  The lines are all crossed, dotted and zig zagged.  I'm lost, but maybe that's the point.  But definitely sounds like a cool story arc.  



I haven't read all the comics yet, I'm saving the Doctor Who one for last.  I've read some digital Doctor Who comics I bought in a Humble Bundle (I have a Humble Bundle book addiction).  I actually have quite the collection of digital comics to read!

Hooley's Hope

Andrew Hooley is Kevin's cousin's 14 year old son.  Instead of playing Little League and asking girls to school dances or whatever teenagers are worrying about, he had been on dialysis and now has gotten a kidney transplant.  It's hard enough to think of an adult going through this, but a child, it's just heartbreaking.  He should be having fun and getting into trouble like all the other kids his age.  He's had a life of hospital visits and needles prodding him.  Finally, last week, he got the donor call and was whisked off to surgery.  The surgery was a success, but the recovery rough.  He was in the ICU getting blood transfusions and oxygen afterwards.  He is back home now and eating normally.

Our entire town came together to coordinate fundraising for Andrew,  I participated in the bake sale which was hosted at the Shelby Fire Department along with a bike-a-thon.  The bake sale raised $315, amazing since each item was priced under $4.  They were selling t-shirts and wrist bands and held 2 raffles.  But the real stars of the fundraiser were the kids.  

The Police and Firemen had blocked off a square around the Library/Post Office (we live in a very small town) and diverted traffic around.  There was a firetruck posted at every corner with first aid kits and drink stations along the route.  Those kids raised a lot of money.  One kid rose over $1000!  Some brought in $700-$800.  There were probably a good 30+ riders, big and small.  Even a few adults.

It was a lot of work getting all the baking done, helping Kevin's Grandmother and manning the station.  I was hurting afterwards.  I really need a better rolling pin.  I made some great recipes I found through lists and Pinterest.  Cake Blondies, Apple Roses, Banana Bread in a Jar, and just box mixes with adding some different twist to it.  I didn't take any pictures, I forgot my camera or even cell phone and had been too busy getting it together to bother taking pics.  I tried making the packaging as presentable as possible.  I used my Cuttlebug to emboss coffee filters as paper wrappers and lid toppers for the jars.  It really looked great.

Though this was a bit of a learning experience, as it was the first real bake sale I'd ever participated in.  So many things sold that were just in sandwich bags or on a paper plate covered in foil.  I was trying to set mine up like a chocolate shop.  I was constantly fronting the tables, rearranging things to get the best visibility.  I think that part really helped.  We went from 3 tables worth of a spread down to just over half of one table.  For a fundraising bake sale, I probably won't spend as much time on the packaging as I would if it were just a regular sale.  And now I know what sells the best.  Anything chocolate, pies and cupcakes.

Chase is reading Kevin's D&D books.

The Player's Handbook and other gaming guides
are his favorite genre of books!
I actually enjoyed the cooking and presentation.  And everyone loved the Banana Bread jars.  I had all these little jars from fruit we bought at the grocery store.  We'd kept them, we even have more in boxes, waiting to find a use for them.  And they were perfect.  The jars were 10 oz and the bread was baked right in them.

We sold everything so cheap because we wanted more money spent on the sponsoring and there were many other things for people to buy.  I was in charge of all the pricing and organization.  And I made everyone keep the chocolate out of the sun!  Though melty chocolate is pretty yummy.

When we went to the grocery store this week, we wore our Hooley's Hope merchandise, hoping to spread the word.  No one asked us about the wristbands or Chase's shirt.  Oh well.  I'm trying to spread the word here, at least.  Several events are coming up.  They have a car show, a golfing event and a turkey shoot coming up later this month.  Andrew has to go to physical therapy 3 days a week in Indianapolis, which is a 2 hour drive.  I don't know if they'll be getting a hotel or temporary apartments down there or something to try to alleviate the transportation costs.  But they have 4 or 5 kids and that cannot be easy.  Also, it's not 3 days in a row, but more like every other day.  So it's not like they can just make one trip, stay the weekend then come right back.
Hooley's Hope Fundraising Campaign for Andrew Hooley.


If anyone can contribute, even if you can't come down to an event, the information for donations is on their website.  HooleysHope.com  Please, share this, every little bit can help.

Hooley's Hope


No comments:

Post a Comment