4.14.2015

An Apology for Scott


I borrowed Scott's book for 10 years.  I found Squee stashed away in a box since I moved from my old apartment.  I didn't have any way to return it to him before I had moved and now, ten years have gone by!  So naturally, I wanted to do something special.  An apology card seemed a grand idea.  Scott loves origami, so an adeptly folded card, intricately paper cut seemed like the perfect idea.

I took progress pictures.  I think it took me close to a week start to finish, carefully cutting out these little curvy swirls and details.  By far, the most elaborate paper cutting I have ever done.  I drew the design in pencil on the back side of the paper, gave it a unique shape by folding it on the diagonal.

Most of the time spent was on the cutting.  I think that was day 2 or 3 pictured above.   Day 1 it just sat there being decided how to fold it and all.  

After all the paper cutting was done, then embellishments were added.  I thought I was going to use my Cuttlebug folder, but decided on using this drain filter mesh instead.  I smashed some cardboard in between and ran the foiled embellishment through my Cuttlebug.  I cut an oval by tracing the bottom of my glue bottle, then made a slightly wider template on cardboard.  It is the same outline shape as on the folded card.  I covered some card stock with aluminum foil tape and cut out my shape.  The "S" is hand drawn with silver gel pen on black card stock. 
Layered the pieces to see how they would look.  The oval is cut from cardstock covered in aluminum foil tape.

Mesh sock texture sheet and Cuttlebug plates A, 2 B's and rubber mat.

Now my oval has a nifty chainmail looking texture.
Instead of erasing all my pencil lines, since I was afraid of tearing all my hard work, I sponged on some metallic silver paint.  I used a spare sheet of black cardstock to stencil on the design, rather than on scrap paper.  It gave a wonderful effect, which I used for my Patreon rewards for my Patrons.  I have cut that sheet into ATC sized to be used for future arty projects.

While the paint dried, I cut out a scrap piece of my DCWV Stardust Paper Stack to fit in the border of the inner part of the card, added some contrast by first writing in black fine line sharpie, then going over in silver gel pen.

Finally, I glued everything together and admired my handiwork before putting in the bubble envelope along with his package.  I threw in some little origami stars I made with thin scraps of paper in various colors.  They're fun to make and super easy.  I'll have to make a quickie tutorial some time.



No comments:

Post a Comment